On Dec 23, 11:33 am, Nigel Kersten <ni...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
> http://www.craigdunn.org/2011/10/secret-variables-in-puppet-with-hier...
>
> Does that help?
>
> I've done this in the past without hiera, where you have a function that
> runs on the master to decrypt the content out of version control, but the
> above makes it pretty simple.

Before jumping into hiera, I was trying to get a feel for extlookup()
with CSV files because it looked pretty simple, but I can't seem to
make it work. I see two different version of how to configure
extlookup(), so I've tried both this (in my manifest):

$extlookup_datadir = "/etc/puppet/extdata"
$extlookup_precedence = ["common"]

and this (in /etc/puppet/extlookup.yaml):

---
:parser: CSV
:precedence:
- common
:csv:
  :datadir: /etc/puppet/extdata

The file /etc/puppet/extdata/common.csv contains a single line:
"some_var,some_value". But whatever I try, the following fails:
$some_var = extlookup("some_var")
if $some_var == undef {
    fail("Didn't find var with extlookup")
}

With "--debug --verbose", I don't get any kind of output related to
the lookup. Can someone guide me here? I think I'm missing something
very obvious.