On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Christopher Johnston
<chjoh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have multiple masters (40+) that reside in remote locations, I want to
> have them send puppet inventory data to a central inventory with mysql.
> Once the data is there I would like puppet dashboard installation use that
> data.  I have not been able to get the remote masters to send their data
> back to the central server.
>
> I keep getting an error:
>
> err: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on eth0:
> certificate verify failed.  This is often because the time is out of sync on
> the server or client
>
> On the remote inventory server node I am seeing an SSL error, SSL is being
> used to authenticate the nodes in order to send the inventory data to the
> remote inventory server?

Is the inventory server certificate sign by the same CA as the remote masters?

puppet cert -p inventory_server_cert
        Issuer: CN=Puppet CA ...

puppet master --configprint certname
puppet_master_cert
puppet cert -p puppet_master_cert
        Issuer: CN=Puppet CA ...

The puppet_master_cert listed above should be in auth.conf as
specified in this doc:
http://docs.puppetlabs.com/pe/1.2/upgrading.html

Specifically:
# Allow puppet master to save facts to the inventory:
path /facts
auth yes
method save
allow <puppet master's certname>