On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Gary Larizza <g...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:

> Hey Gonzalo,
>
> Have you tried Hiera at all? (http://github.com/puppetlabs/hiera and
> http://github.com/puppetlabs/hiera-puppet )  With Hiera (and,
> specifically the hiera_array() function), you can scour through a hierarchy
> to populate a variable inside your Puppet manifest.  If you had a variable
> to set excludes in many levels of your hierarchy, then
> hiera_array('yum_excludes') would search every level of the hierarchy
> (pertinent to your node according to its Facter facts) for a variable
> called 'yum_excludes', and return an array with all values that it finds.
>  You could then utilize a template to populate the "exclude=" line in
> yum.conf.

Hiera looks good, however in my case where I may want to build an array of
yum_excludes from various classes, I'm not sure it suits this problem case.
I can see Hiera being useful in cases where you might have different
distributions, networks, etc. but building up an array from any number of
classes, how would it work? Were you thinking that I could add the class
name to the hiera hierarchy and set yum_excludes in there?

- Gonzalo