On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 17:05, Russell Van Tassell <russel...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Just a couple of issues...
>
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Jon Davis <j...@snowulf.com> wrote:
>
>> I recently built, added to puppet and then nuked a server.  Before I
>> re-added the machine (after I rebuilt it, with the same name), I went to
>> the puppet server and ran `puppet cert revoke dev-8.company.com` and
>> `puppet cert clean dev-8.company.com`.  Now when puppet runs on ANY
>> server in my environment, they get the following error:
>>
>> info: Caching certificate for dev-8.company.com
>> *err: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: SSL_connect
>> returned=1 errno=0 state=SSLv3 read server certificate B: certificate
>> verify failed.  This is often because the time is out of sync on the server
>> or client*
>> warning: Not using cache on failed catalog
>> err: Could not retrieve catalog; skipping run
>> *err: Could not send report: SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0 state=SSLv3
>> read server certificate B: certificate verify failed.  This is often
>> because the time is out of sync on the server or client*
>>

>> Now I know for a fact that it isn't a time issue because the puppet
>> server is on NTP as are the clients.  The new machine is also within 1-2
>> seconds of server time.
>>

> For "normal" NTP clients, this would imply that your time sync is off by a
> few factors (ie. your time differences should be mere fractions of seconds
> off between servers if your NTP setup is working correctly).

There isn't any time issue, just my typing `date` one one machine to the
other.  Everyone is running NTP it's fine.

>  All of the clients are configured to run (via Cron) `/usr/sbin/puppetd
>> --onetime --no-daemonize --logdest syslog --server puppet.company.com`.
>>  The server is named puppet-1.company.com but puppet. is a valid cname.
>>  I've tried rebooting the puppet server, I've tried upgrading it, just
>> about anything I can think of.
>>

> If the reverse (IN-ADDR) of your puppet server is going to return
> puppet.company.com as its name, but you are connecting to foo.company.com,
> that's pretty much a textbook SSL error (ie. your SSL certificate doesn't
> match the name it's claiming to be). What happens if you delete the SSL
> cert on the client, and re-run the CSR by pointing at the real name of the
> server?

Well unfortunately this worked until a few hours ago and I haven't changed
anything in the DNS.  There is actually no IN-ADDR record for this server.
  When I generated the SSL cert for puppet, I told it to use
puppet.company.com (IE in puppet.conf it says certname=puppet.company.com )

I've deleted certs and re-run puppet on the client about a dozen times now.
 I've also made sure to revoke/clean on the server between each try.

> Hope that helps...
>
> Russell
>

>  --

Jon