Take a look at bug 8858 and 9084. But have some suggested "fixes" to see if you
are hitting them. If you are running the client and master on the same server
thought (and both are using the same cert) this may not be the case.

________________________________

        From: puppet-users@googlegroups.com
[mailto:puppet-users@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of glm
        Sent: Monday, March 19, 2012 6:39 PM
        To: puppet-users@googlegroups.com
        Subject: [Puppet Users] Re: "SSLv3 read server certificate B:
certificate verify failed." -- Not time related

        Hi,

        I am having a similar problem but I am trying to run puppetd -t on the
server as a client of itself.  This works on our other puppet master.  Like the
poster above, I have cleared /var/lib/puppet/ssl a dozen times and time cannot
be an issue because client and server are the same machine.  I have tried this
with both puppetmasterd and with the apache passenger module, which is what we
have running on our other puppet master, which works.
        I am using puppet versions
        puppet-2.7.9-2.el6.noarch
        puppet-server-2.7.9-2.el6.noarch

        on top of ruby versions: