From: Derek J. Balling
To: puppet-users
Sent: 2012-02-27 10:59:12 +0000
Subject: [Puppet Users] Certificate Annoyance: Time Differential

We recently had a situation where servers weren't able to use their
auto-sign'ed certificates because their local clock was months off from
real-time.  Of course, it was brand-new hardware straight off the dock and
hadn't yet had a chance to have ntp sync the clock to the correct time because,
well, puppet is what fires up NTP. :-)

Is there any way to recognize that puppet might be the thing in charge of
bringing the clocks into sync, and allowing puppet to ignore
certificate-verification failures that are based solely on the time-delta being
too high?  It certainly seems like it'd be a useful feature.