My solution was to run ntpdate before I ran the puppet join.  Since all my
client machines are ubuntu, I know it's pre-installed.  After that, puppet
installs the ntp service.

My "join" command looks something like: `apt-get install puppet -y &&
ntpdate pool.ntp.org && puppet agent --server puppet.company.com`

-Jon

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 02:58, Derek J. Balling <dr...@megacity.org> wrote:

> We recently had a situation where servers weren't able to use their
> auto-sign'ed certificates because their local clock was months off from
> real-time.  Of course, it was brand-new hardware straight off the dock and
> hadn't yet had a chance to have ntp sync the clock to the correct time
> because, well, puppet is what fires up NTP. :-)
>
> Is there any way to recognize that puppet might be the thing in charge of
> bringing the clocks into sync, and allowing puppet to ignore
> certificate-verification failures that are based solely on the time-delta
> being too high?  It certainly seems like it'd be a useful feature.

Jon
[[User:ShakataGaNai]] / KJ6FNQ
http://snowulf.com/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/shakataganai <http://twitter.com/shakataganai>