On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Todd Zullinger <t...@pobox.com> wrote:
> Michael Stahnke wrote:
>>
>> For the next major Puppet version, code-named Telly, we have some changes
>> coming.  This is the first in a series of emails around these changes and
>> may require some input from the community.
>>
>> For Telly, the nagios types will be moved into a module.  This allows them
>> to be iterated on in isolation from the rest of Puppet's core release cycle
>> and process. In the future we have plans to move several other types into
>> modules that can be individually maintained, improved, tested and used.
>>
>> The module for Nagios will be available on the Forge.
>>
>> The upgrade path is the thing we need some feedback about.  The basic
>> steps to upgrade would be to setup a Telly master, and then install the
>> Nagios module via the Puppet Module Tool, which ships integrated with
>> 2.7.13+ and Telly.
>

> Is it possible to package these modules for distros?  In the past, we've had
> a few requests to do this for third-party modules but we didn't do this
> because there wasn't really any standard for it.  With puppet module tool
> being integrated now, perhaps that's something that can be reconsidered.
>
> I'm thinking that for folks using rpm, they'd rather see an update that
> pulls in the same fucntionality as they had before.  And even for new
> installs, I'd personally prefer to install these things via rpm.  If I
> wanted to use a secondary package management system, I could use gems or
> eggs or CPAN, but I don't. ;)

Todd, welcome and I feel your pain.  Trust me, I pushed every way I
could to use native packages as our module deliver mechanism.  However
we have some odd requirements that make things not work as well with
RPM (or deb, or gems).  Basically we need a mechanism to allow
multiple versions installed into separate environments (paths on
disk).  That sort of ruled out traditional packaging systems, without
doing some installation and symlink-selection magic.  Even then, there
were some issues.

Something like pm2rpm and pm2deb is very likely something we'll need
to make the lives of Puppet Users happy.  It should be fairly simple
and we'll want to be sure that the default module path is something
that is FHS compliant.

We'll also want to work with Jordan and see if we can get packaging
Puppet Modules (in this format) as an option with FPM.  I think FPM
already does some Puppet Module stuff, so it may not need any real
updates.

Mike