Hey Geoff,

I see that as two separate steps (Is Hiera enabled and is Hiera
configured).  I think the function satisfies the former, but you might want
to write your own check for the latter (as each person probably interprets
'configured' differently).  You could do a check like:

if function_available('hiera') and hiera('hiera_enabled', false) {
  <do something with hiera>
} else {
  <do something without hiera>
}

This would do a hiera lookup for a parameter 'hiera_enabled' that could be
set in your common/global.yaml file (while defaulting to false if it's not
found).

Gary Larizza
Professional Services Engineer
Puppet Labs