It checks every layer of the hierarchy, so it would look for:

fqdn/server1.yaml
environment/staging.yaml
common.yaml

But the important thing to know is it's looking for an actual variable.  If
you had defined
selinux: disabled in common.yaml and nowhere else then it would always
reach that
file and pull in that value.  Just because environment/staging.yaml matches
the state
of the machine doesn't mean it'll stop processing at that point - it'll
check every file
in the hierarchy it matches, in order, until it finds an entry for the
variable you are
looking up.  (In a manifest you do $var = hiera(variablename)).