On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Russell Van Tassell
<russel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 12:45 PM, Romeo Theriault <romeo.theria...@maine.edu>
> wrote:
>>
>> Unfortunately, solaris
>> doesn't have a cron.d directory where we can drop crontab files
>> either.
>

> Are you talking about /var/spool/cron/crontab on Solaris?  (think that's the
> right path)
>
> It won't reload them without being kicked. But, you can play tricks with it
> by dropping the file there, then reload it by invoking "crontab" and feeding
> it the new file. You might have to massage it to get things to work
> properly, but it should be possible (ie. I've done it this way, manually, in
> a previous life).

I was referring to something like the /etc/cron.d/ directory on linux
where you can drop in new files that have specific entries. Are you
suggesting that you can drop in new "files" into the
/var/spool/cron/crontabs dir on solaris and it will pick them up after
being reloaded? How would it know which user to run this crontab as if
it's not the actual users crontab file itself? See, I don't want to
manage the whole file. I'd like to just be able to manage individual
entries by placing new files into the dir.

--
Romeo