With the integration of Hiera, is the extlookup functionality being deprecated?

If so, I would like to ask that the team add a Hiera backend for the existing
extlookup data sources.

I know that it won't support hashes but it would help to break the view that
Puppet routinely breaks existing functionality on upgrades.

Thanks,

Trevor

On 05/03/2012 01:05 PM, Pieter van de Bruggen wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> As many of you may be aware, Hiera will be tightly integrated into Puppet
> in the upcoming release of Puppet 3.0. As a final sanity check of this
> work, I’d like to open our current plan for integration up for feedback.
> This is particularly for feedback from existing Hiera users, but I hope to
> solicit good feedback from those not using Hiera as well.
>
> The problem, as it currently exists, is that Puppet (core) has no good
> first-class mechanism for separating configuration data from manifests.
> Everything from $faked_namespaces__in__variable_names to specialty “params”
> classes have been tried, with varying degrees of success.
>
> Hiera came along as another solution to this problem, and provided a useful
> abstraction for hierarchical data lookup, but life as a plugin meant that
> certain integrations were still difficult. Our aim in Puppet 3.0 is to
> tighten up these integrations (making Hiera more useful), provide
> first-class data separation solution (for those not already using Hiera),
> and to provide a simple and safe migration for those currently using Hiera.
>
> Here’s what’s new:
>
>    - Hiera data keys can be namespaced
>       - (e.g. 'dns::nameserver': '8.8.8.8')
>    - Namespaced data will automatically populate class parameters
>       - (e.g. 'dns::nameserver' will be automatically looked up for the
>       $nameserver parameter when you include dns)
>
> Here’s what’s changed:
>
>    - The hiera-puppet module will no longer be required
>       - It should, however, still continue to work
>    - The heira() function (from the hiera-puppet module) will be superceded
>    by the lookup() function (in Puppet core)
>    - hiera_include() will not be ported; include now properly accept
>    arrays, making this redundant
>
> Here’s what were still wondering about:
>
>    - How should we integrate hiera_array() and hiera_hash()?
>    - How should we integrate hiera’s “default” and “override” parameters?
>    - How should we handle overlaps between data supplied by Hiera and data
>    supplied in a parameterized class include?
>
> If you’re interested in test-driving the new functionality for yourself,
> checkout out the master branch of the Puppet repository on
> Github<https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet>,
> install Hiera (with gem install hiera) and make the following configuration
> changes:
>
>    - Set data_binding_terminus to hiera
>    - If you have a Hiera configuration file, set hiera_config to point to
>    it.
>    - If you don’t, create a file in ${confdir}/hiera.yaml with these
>    contents:
>
>      :backend:
>
>        - yaml
>
>      :yaml:
>
>        :datadir: $confdir/data
>
>      :hierarchy:
>
>        - %{certname}
>
>        - %{environment}
>
>        - global

> [...]

- --
Trevor Vaughan
 Vice President, Onyx Point, Inc.
 email: tvaug...@onyxpoint.com
 phone: 410-541-ONYX (6699)
 pgp: 0x6C701E94

- -- This account not approved for unencrypted sensitive information --