In regard to: Re: [Puppet Users] linting manifests with long lines, Nan Liu...:

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Tim Mooney <tim.moo...@ndsu.edu> wrote:

All-

I've been working through our local manifests with puppet-lint, trying
to make certain we're as prepared as possible for puppet 3.x.  I would
like for our manifests to be warning-free.  The class of warnings
related to long lines has me questioning what the best practice is to
avoid lines longer than 80 characters.

You can use a variable to shorten it, but I don't know if that
actually improves code clarity.

As I suggested in my original email, in some cases it would be OK, but
in many cases it wouldn't improve clarity and would cause other problems.

There's some discussion about removing it from the recommendation:
https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet-docs/pull/68

Thanks for pointing that out.

What I've ended up doing is just adding

        --no-80chars-check

to my ~/.puppet-lintrc, to silence the warning.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                             tim.moo...@ndsu.edu