On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 3:58 PM, Jared Ballou <jbal...@jballou.com> wrote:
> I ran into this issue when Active(Record|Model|Support) had a version
> higher than 3.0.11. I'm running RHEL6 x64 with Ruby 1.8.7 from RPM and
> MySQL gem 2.8.1 built from source, if that rings true for you. Which
> versions of the installed gems do you have? And if you run the puppet
> master as
> puppet master --no-daemonize -vd
> does it give any pertinent output for us to look at?

Thanks for the quick response, Jared.  It all sounds far too familiar :-)

I'm running a RHEL 5.8 x86_64 server here.  Ruby is 1.8.7-299 from
aegisco's repository and rubygems-1.8.5 from the same location.

I did try with activerecord-3.2.6 but quickly ran into
http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/9290 so downgraded to 3.0.15.
Based on your message I've tried both 3.0.11 and 3.0.10 and still have
the same results.

All gems are installed via 'gem install --local --verbose <gem name>'

$ gem list

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

activemodel (3.0.10)
activerecord (3.0.10)
activesupport (3.0.10)
addressable (2.2.8)
arel (2.0.10)
builder (2.1.2)
cookiejar (0.3.0)
daemon_controller (1.0.0)
em-http-request (1.0.2)
em-socksify (0.2.0)
eventmachine (1.0.0.beta.4)
fastthread (1.0.7)
http_parser.rb (0.5.3)
i18n (0.5.0)
json (1.7.3)
multi_json (1.3.6)
mysql (2.8.1)
passenger (3.0.12)
rack (1.4.1)
rake (0.9.2.2)
tzinfo (0.3.,33)

In terms of output from the puppet master, I get nothing of note with
those options.  If I try with:

# puppet master --no-daemonize --debug --trace --verbose --logdest
/tmp/puppetmaster.log

I get the results in the attached log.

> As for data reads/writes, every time a node checks in, if storedconfigs
> is on, it will update the facts and some other ancillary information in
> the database. I've got about 400 nodes in my setup and it's still not
> very demanding on MySQL even with quite a lot of data going in and out,
> so the stock config values should suffice while you spend time tracking
> down all the other issues with getting the environment stood up.

That's all useful info, thanks!

Regards,

Matt.