On 16.06.2012 02:21, Jo Rhett wrote:
On Jun 15, 2012, at 3:13 PM, jcbollinger wrote:
You seem to be interpreting many of the responses as assertions that
you shouldn't want what you're asking for. I don't think anyone is
saying that, at least not at the level of generality at which you
responded to David. On the other hand, several people, myself
included, have expressed valid concerns about the specific way you
suggest enabling your desired behavior. I cannot speak for the other
participants, but so far you have not addressed those concerns to my
satisfaction.

I just went back and re-read every complaint, and they can all be summed
up in

1. Too much complexity for too little gain (both of which are very
subjective)
2. You shouldn't use puppet for that.

The second one requires replacing puppet with a configuration management
system which can do the job, so it's an odd thing for everyone to
suggest. There hasn't been a single comment about the technical merits
of this change - even from yourself.

I say "running puppet *hot* on a system *when* restarting a service might create a booboo is a bad idea." Emphasis on *hot* and *when*. For both emphasises, there are solutions (noop, cron, schedules, mcollective, dssh). Using a different CM is not likely to solve that unless you're willing to go the build-freeze-scrap route.

The core of this runs into organizational realms like "Change Management", which are not in scope for the puppet master/agent. At the clients I work for, Rule #1 is "do not push into production." Even some of the outward-facing "test" systems have sensitive times when clients are testing. Developing changes and actually applying them are two VERY separate activities. You might want to look into git-flow to dis-entangle development, teams, and integration.

Do the cowboy-style sites have a quicker turn-over? You bet. Do they have the same uptime and stability requirements? Hell, no.

Best Regards, David