On Jun 20, 2012, at 3:02 PM, Nick Fagerlund wrote:
> What R.I. said. Hyphens in variable names and class names are a no-no,
> although they kinda work in some versions of Puppet. Use underscores instead.
>
> (Why are hyphens a problem? Well, partly because you can subtract variables
> in expressions. The ambiguity turned out to be a problem.)

Sorry, I replied to RIP because I didn't see your reply yet.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I'm still struggling to see this. Every
place that class names are used should be single quoted, according to your
style guide. And it's very easy in a syntax to tell the different between
'test-jo + 2' and 'test - jo + 2'. Those are not ambiguous.

The problems with not supporting dashes is the incredible lack of party between
the packages/services/files they manage and the name of the class. It's pretty
much guaranteed human error, and pretty much wipes out auto-generating puppet
policies without a hundred lines of try this name instead, okay try this other
name instead...

--
Jo Rhett