----- Original Message -----

You probably should as class names are variable names $foo::bar vs $foo-foo::bar

> The limitation seems consistent with the PHP-like syntax, though (is
> it heresy to say this?;)

Also ruby, and this is significant, allowing people to make variable
names that they cannot use in a template is not doing them any favours
as it force them to do scope.lookupvar("foo-foo").

In the 0.24 days -'s were documented as not supported but they worked in
a few scenarios and others they didn't.  I requested then that the
parser fail on -'s but instead the docs were updated and a cycle of bug
fixes around "-" in varnames started.  This went on for countless
releases and while trying to get this to work everywhere there was this
multi year flip flop between sets of bugs with ever changing behaviour
making even small dot release upgrades a nightmare where old templates
and code suddenly produce different results.  To the point where I ended
up writing a widely used tool to diff 2 catalogs to highlight any
differences in content of files etc.

I do not think this has done anyone any favours so I very much welcome
the change if it means more certainty and stability.  I only wish the
change didnt get introduced in a release this late in 2.7.x