I saw this in the past, and the encoded data was the fact upload from the
client, which for some reason is malformed/corrupted by the time it hits
the master.

What version of puppet are you running? I'm guessing a 2.6 series; 2.7
moves this data to POST body rather than GET (Bug #6117 in redmine)
precisely to fix this sort of thing.

If this is on 2.7.x that would be troubling.

-=Eric