On Saturday, July 21, 2012 9:57:13 PM UTC-5, Garrett Honeycutt wrote:

> On 7/21/12 4:13 AM, treydock wrote:
> > I've begun using Hiera in combination with Foreman, primarily storing
> > data that is best left in Array/Hash form.  I'd like to be able to have
> > a module, in this case BackupPC, query all the Hiera data for each node
> > where the backup directories/databases are stored.  Then use all that
> > information on the BackupPC server to generate proper configuration
> > files for each node's backups.  Here's what I have so far...
> >
> > $ cat /etc/puppet/hiera.yaml
> > ---
> > :hierarchy:
> >   - %{fqdn}
> >   - common
> > :backends:
> >   - yaml
> >   - puppet
> > :yaml:
> >   :datadir: '/etc/puppet/hieradata'
> > :puppet:
> >   :datasource: data
> >

> > An example of the BackupPC information in hiera
> > $ cat /etc/puppet/hieradata/dc-ctrl.tamu.edu.yaml
> > ---
> > backuppc_db_dumps:
> >   foreman:
> >     backup_dir: '/usr/share/foreman'
> >   mysql:
> >     backup_dir: '/etc'
> >
> > I am currently using that data to create dump scripts on each node, and
> > would like to re-use the same information to automatically configure the
> > backup server to grab those locations.
> >
> > This attempt may work, but it doesn't 'feel' right to me by overriding
> > the fqdn fact.
> >
> > /etc/puppet/modules/test  $ cat manifests/hiera_lookup.pp
> > class test::hiera_lookup {
> >   $nodes = foreman('fact_values', 'fact = fqdn')
> >
> >   if $nodes {
> >     create_resources('test::hiera_lookup::get_data', $nodes)
> >   }
> > }
> >
> > define test::hiera_lookup::get_data (
> >   $fqdn
> > ) {
> >
> >  $data = hiera("backuppc_db_dumps", false)
> >
> >   if $data { notify { $data: } }
> >
> > }
> >
> > Is there a better approach to override scope and grab what data from
> > hiera that would normally not be available to a node?
> >
> > Thanks
> > - Trey
>
> This would be a great place to use exported resources[1]. Each node
> could still use Hiera to determine if they should be backed up (or what
> should be backed up) and export a resource and the backup server could
> collect.
>
> [1] - http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/exported_resources.html
>
> -g
>
> --
> Garrett Honeycutt
>
> 206.414.8658
> http://puppetlabs.com

Looking at some of online documentation I see no means to either export the
hash variable pulled into the modules from hiera or to export the defines
called with "create_resources".

Is there a way to do something like @@$backuppc_db_dumps =
hiera('backuppc_db_dumps') ?  Or possibly a way to export a custom define
with all the parameters passed to it?

Thanks
- Trey