Wow.

My next reaction is, "Are you sure you woke up ?"  But then I am a known and
convicted joker and a registered paronomasiac [1].

In an effort to make a serious response:

I feel you may be using the wrong tool for the job.

If, as in your example, snmp and tripwire are interrelated, that should be
handled by your class/resource definitions.

How would you solve this problem in a version of puppet before hiera ?

If one module wants a service running and another wants it stopped, there needs
to be something like a common parameter or decision point over both modules to
prevent a conflict.

Does that make any sense or do I need to wake myself up to try for a better
answer ?

I am honestly trying to help out, but your statement of the problem is a bit
confuzzled [2].

(1) http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/paronomasiac
(2) http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/confuzzle

“Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in
the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.”
Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)