On Aug 9, 2012, at 5:15 PM, Dan White <y...@comcast.net>
 wrote:

> Wow.
>
> My next reaction is, "Are you sure you woke up ?"  But then I am a known and
> convicted joker and a registered paronomasiac [1].

Nope ;)

> In an effort to make a serious response:
>
> I feel you may be using the wrong tool for the job.

quite possibly… I actually came up with this as a straw man example of a way to
say 'this other module's hiera values may constrain or conflict with mine'

> If, as in your example, snmp and tripwire are interrelated, that should be
> handled by your class/resource definitions.

*nod* I get that. I was thinking that having the ability to constrain
possibilities of parameters or define conflicts in the hiera function of a
module might make the 'shipping a module with hiera parameters to the forge for
community use at large' easier.

I have absolutely no attachment to the idea; if people thought the idea was a
good one, great! I done helped a bit!
but if not... well… I DID say I was asleep.

> How would you solve this problem in a version of puppet before hiera ?

Therein lies the problem, I think.
The issues of divergently sourced module cohabitation is a complicated one.

now with hiera, I was thinking having consistent, module-scoped namespacing
would be a good thing, but then this scenario presented itself to my
dreamspaced mind and I didn't really see a great way  around it.

> If one module wants a service running and another wants it stopped, there
> needs to be something like a common parameter or decision point over both
> modules to prevent a conflict.
>
> Does that make any sense or do I need to wake myself up to try for a better
> answer ?

Totally agree.. I don't know that there's a better answer than that. I just
wasn't convinced that there's not, either.

> I am honestly trying to help out, but your statement of the problem is a bit
> confuzzled [2].
>
> (1) http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/paronomasiac
> (2) http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/confuzzle
>
> “Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in
> the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.”
> Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)
>
> ----- Wolf Noble <wno...@datapipe.com> wrote:

This message may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not
the intended recipient, please advise us immediately and delete this message.
See http://www.datapipe.com/legal/email_disclaimer/ for further information on
confidentiality and the risks of non-secure electronic communication. If you
cannot access these links, please notify us by reply message and we will send
the contents to you.