So, your explanation makes sense to me - but that doesn't exactly explain
to me why the "include" statement isn't enough.

E.g. when I'm "including the puppet::params class in the puppet::config
class, what affect is it having at all, if not setting things like the
variables included in the original puppet::params class?

How can I change variables on the fly effectively, if I can't just do the
import and then have the variable $puppetserver equal the one from the
imported class? I'm having a hard time grasping what import does, if not
this.