On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 12:12:33 AM UTC-5, Douglas wrote:

> Trying to force puppet class execution order with:
>
> Class['lvm'] -> Class['network'] -> Class['apt'] -> Class <| |>
>
> This is giving me:
>
> err: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on
> SERVER: Resource type class doesn't exist at
> /truth/sauce/env/prod/modules/role/manifests/common.pp:37 on node
> testweb07.us1.xxx.com
> warning: Not using cache on failed catalog
>
> I did have it working with run stages, but when trying to also use the
> relationship syntax with the following in site.pp
>
> Apt::Source <| |> -> Exec["apt-update"]
> Exec['apt-update'] -> Package <| |>
>
> got the dreaded cyclic dependency errors... :(

Yes, both run stages and chaining from/to collections are prone to causing
cycles.  They have their uses, but you do need to think very carefully
about how you use them.  Moreover, the more you use them, the more likely
you are to have trouble.  It is often quite hard to make correct blanket
statements about resource relationships, more so the more complex your
manifests become.

It looks and sounds as if you are trying to re-express your stages-based
manifests using resource chaining.  If that's the case then you are on a
wild goose chase.  Declaring the same relationships via a different syntax
must necessarily produce the same cycle(s).  To fix the problem you need to
remove (the right) unneeded relationships.

John