I'm in the process of building out a new puppet master and pulling our existing/legacy infrastructure into Puppet control for the basic system-level stuff (mail, syslog, sudo, ssh, etc.). Unfortunately, the directive from on high is that all of our hosts need to be managed by the same system. That list is about 95% RHEL/Cent 5 or 6, but there's a few RHEL4 and SLES9 machines on the "must have" list. As upgrades are very unlikely, I'd like to be on the newest version possible - ideally, 2.7.12+ on the master so I can leverage puppetDB.

Is anyone out there running new-ish puppet (2.7, or else 2.6) on such ancient beasts? If so, can anyone point me at sources for the packages, and dependencies? Or perhaps have spec files to share?

I'd like to say I can spend the time to build and test puppet and all the dependencies, but alas, that is very far from the case.

Thanks for any assistance,
Jason

PS - If you happen to be a competent generalist Linux admin in the Boston, MA or Atlanta, GA area, feel free pass along your resume...