Jason,

I was able to compile puppet via the spec file included in the source up to
version 2.7.5 on RHEL4 (32 and 64-bit).  I can't remember the issues I had
with 2.7.6-9 right now, but it had to do with the ancient ruby (1.8.1).  I
did grab the requisite dependencies (augeas-libs, ruby-augeas, facter) from
the EPEL.  I haven't had any major issues with that version using the
default system ruby.  Makes me feel better that someone else has to support
EOL relics as well.  Hope this helps.

Jordan