Boy, am I frustrated. I'm about ready to throw puppet out the window
here. I'm trying to configure glusterfs, and you know, it kinda made
sense to separate the data from the manifests, so I went ahead and put
this into a YAML file, which hiera loads...

glusterfs_volumes:
  gfsvol01:
    volume_name: gfsvol01
    master_node: gfs01.us1.xxx.com         # Make sure only one node
runs the gluster commands.
    nodes:
      - name: gfs01.us1.xxx.com
        bricks:
          - device: /dev/bcvg/disk1
            brick_name: /var/bricks/gfsvol01-0
          - device: /dev/bcvg/disk2
            brick_name: /var/bricks/gfsvol01-1
      - name: gfs02.us1.xxx.com
        bricks:
          - device: /dev/bcvg/disk3
            brick_name: /var/bricks/gfsvol01-0
          - device: /dev/bcvg/disk4
            brick_name: /var/bricks/gfsvol01-1

For the last couple of days I have been dealing with the inadequacies
of puppet in dealing with working with this kind of data structure.
You can't easily iterate through it, and every time you do, you have
to write a new definition that takes an array. The whole thing ends up
turning into a giant complicated mess.

I tried writing some custom functions in ruby that do things like,
return a list of nodes for a volume, or return a list of bricks for a
node, but it really irks me that I have to keep writing ruby scripts
for this (since ruby makes my eyes bleed).

So... what are my options here? Aren't we supposed to strive for
separating the manifest from the data? I could probably get away with
a few definitions that take a set of parameters. However, when the
time comes to say, add a new node to the cluster, we have to modify
the manifest. At one point, I had this working so that all you had to
do was add a node to the yaml file, make ZERO changes to the manifest
file, and after running puppet, it would add the node to the cluster.

It may make my life easier if I flatten the yaml file, but then I'm
changing the data to suit the limitations of the DSL.

At this point, I'm very close to simply sticking with the yaml file,
have puppet push that out to the clients, write some python scripts to
do all the magic (reading the yaml file), and have puppet run those
scripts with Exec {}.

Is proper array/hash iteration ever going to be added to puppet?

Doug.