Typically you could use exported resources for this. Each client
exports a zabbix custom define, those defines are collected on your
zabbix server by each puppet run. That run then adds those servers to
zabbix if they aren't already there.

cheers,

Walter

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 4:57 PM, JeremyCampbell
<jeremycampbel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Flo,
>
> I think you misunderstood my question. Yes, we are using puppet clients
> running the agent and a central puppetmaster. However, each puppet client
> also needs to be monitored by our Zabbix monitoring system. I'm trying to
> figure out the best way to add each puppet client to the Zabbix monitoring
> system the first time they are configured. Should the script which adds them
> run on the client or the server? The server seems like the safest choice but
> Im not sure what would be the best method.
>
> Thanks.
>

> On Wednesday, September 12, 2012 5:58:19 AM UTC+2, Florian Koch wrote:
>>
>> hi, do you use the zabbix agent? if you, the agent can autoregister itself
>> so no custom script is needed
>>
>> regards flo
>>

>> Am 12.09.2012 um 01:28 schrieb JeremyCampbell <jeremyca...@gmail.com>:
>>
>> > I've written a script which adds a new server to our Zabbix monitoring
>> > system using their api.  This script contains the api username and password
>> > so I wouldn't want it sitting on the puppet clients.  I assume to execute
>> > it
>> > on the puppetmaster side I need to configure the script as a custom
>> > function? And to avoid the script from contacting the Zabbix server every
>> > run,  it could write the host name to a file which it checks beforehand.
>> > Would that be the way to go or are there any better approaches?
>> >
>> > --

Walter Heck

--
Check out my startup: Puppet training and consulting @ http://www.olindata.com