It is a useful tool. However, the difficulty is that our ENV has
multiple versions of ESX hosts, 3.5, 4.1 and 5.0. The guest OS has no
clue what version of ESX it is running on, so how can puppet server
push a correct version of vmware tools to a client?

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Michael Stahnke
<stah...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 6:48 PM, Jakov Sosic <jso...@srce.hr> wrote:
>> On 09/19/2012 11:55 PM, Hai Tao wrote:
>>>
>>> There seems to be a few vmware tools installation modules. Has someone
>>> used these modules to install VMware tools?
>>>
>>> Searching http://forge.puppetlabs.com ...
>>> NAME                    DESCRIPTION
>>>
>>>                  AUTHOR        KEYWORDS
>>> vchoi-vmware            Puppet module to handle installation, upgrade
>>> and reconfiguration of vmware tools on vmware virtual nodes.
>>>                   @vchoi        virtualization vmware vmware-tools
>>> vmware_tools vmtools
>>> razorsedge-vmwaretools  Puppet VMware Tools OSP Module
>>>
>>>                  @razorsedge   vmware vmware-tools vmware_tools vmtools
>>> rhel CentOS SuSE OEL
>>> puppetlabs-vcenter      VMware vCenter installation and management
>>>
>>>                  @puppetlabs   windows vmware vcenter vsphere
>>> 5UbZ3r0-vmwaretools     This module handles the installation the
>>> VMware Tools Operating System Specific
>>>                        @5UbZ3r0      debian virtualization rhel CentOS
>>> vmware vmware-tools vmwaretools
>>> puppetlabs-appdirector  # VMware vFabric Application Directorâ
>>>                                                                ¢ Puppet
>>> Service
>>>                 @puppetlabs   vmware
>>>

>>> How well does it work?
>>

>> It seems that nobody tried this already. I'm interested too...
>>

>> --
>> Jakov Sosic
>> www.srce.unizg.hr
>>

>> --
>>

> I don't know that I would endorse one over another, but Puppet Labs
> did a module of the week post about one of them.
>
> http://puppetlabs.com/blog/module-of-the-week-razorsedge-vmwaretools/
>
> That might be a good starting point.

Hai Tao