First thing I would do is use 'augtool' on the command line and checking
for any errors trying to parse your current /etc/hosts.allow file:

augtool
> ls /augeas/files/etc/hosts.allow/error
(maybe *errors* plural, can't remember off the top of my head ... play with
the path as I may have typo'd something :P)

If that exists and has nodes under it check out what it says for an error
and goto the line with the error in /etc/hosts.allow.  It means augeas is
not able to parse the file as it is now before even trying to make the
changes you want to make.

If the 'errors' didn't exist then try adding the entry puppet is trying to
add manually.  I think you get get the augeas command puppet is trying to
use by running 'puppet agent --debug' and then grepping on the augeas
resource name.  So again, use augtool and manually try to edit the file
through that and see if you are able to save your changes.  If it fails, I
think you can then reference that error path I gave you to first check for
whatever error may be generated from trying to make the change.

Hope that helps point you into a direction for a solution.

Regards,
Jake