On Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:18:51 PM UTC-5, Stefan Schulte wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 05:40:52PM -0700, Justin Ryan wrote:
> > I would like to place a file with puppet only if a certain package is
> > installed on the system -- but assuming this package is not
> puppet-managed.
> > Checking for the presence of a non-puppet-managed file is also ok. Is
> this
> > possible? using require => Package['mypkg'] doesn't work if it's not
> > puppet-managed. thanks.
> >

> I haven't tried it but
>
>     package { 'mypkg':
>       audit => all,
>     }
>
> should work. This way you are declaring the resource so you should be
> able to refer to it later as Package['mypkg'] while on the other hand
> only auditing the state and not actually changing it through puppet.

That's actually kinda cool, but I think either you've missed the OP's
point, or I'm missing yours.  Declaring the package for only auditing
should indeed support any Puppet relationships with that resource without
forcing the package to be installed, but how does it achieve the main
objective of conditionally managing a file depending on whether the package
is installed?  As far as I can tell, relationships in general cannot
address this problem.  Am I missing something?

John