Looks like I was able to get it to work by executing the export command
through a bash script, initiated via puppets exec logic in my puppet
manifest. Not the most elegant solution but good enough to get me working.

I had originally tried setting this in ~/.bashrc but with no luck. Now
I'm...
- doing a straight export http_proxy=... (in my bash script)
as well as...
- adding to /home/vagrant/.bashrc

This way puppet gets the proxy at runtime & if I log in as vagrant I get
proxy too.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!