hmm I get the concept of the wrapper script, though I'm not too sure
how/where to implement within Vagrant. I haven't had much luck on the
Vagrant forums, so instead I've decided to simply run a Vagrant reload
after it fails the first time (that gives puppet the chance to update
bashrc with the proxy, subsequent runs work just fine as you'd expect.

I believe puppet not honouring the http_proxy_host option it has is the
real issue, though with this workaround in place, I can live with it.