full disclosure: I don't use the puppetlabs repos. Below are just some
observations and concerns I wanted to voice.

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 5:36 PM, Michael Stahnke <stah...@puppetlabs.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Jeff McCune <j...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Robert Rothenberg <rob...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> I am using CentOS 6 with the PuppetLabs yum repo from
> >> http://yum.puppetlabs.com
> >>
> >> I noticed that today version 3 is available on the repo, so of course,
> an
> >> upgrade to Puppet is available.
> >
> > Yes, this major version update went live on Monday.  There are a
> > number of breaking-changes between 2.7 and 3.0 which are described at:
> > http://links.puppetlabs.com/telly_breaking_changes
> >
> >> Ideally, it would have been better if v3 had a different distribution
> name,
> >> so that systems with v2.7.x are not upgraded (especially if there will
> be
> >> future releases if v2.7).
>
> We sent out several notices about this prior to doing it. The Puppet
> Labs repositories are designed to be the place you get the latest
> software from Puppet Labs.  This was a conscious choice.

Where was this announced? On the list?  Not everyone who follows the
official install instructions (
http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/installation.html) is cool enough to join
the mailing list :-P

The real problem, IMHO, is there is no clear policy regarding the
PuppetLabs repo (or at least none I could find easily).  "These repos
contain the latest available packages for Puppet, ..." is somewhat
ambiguous (or maybe its just me) -- does that mean the latest of the
current release or the latest version overall? We now know it's the latter.

To that affect, I think it would benefit the community if there was a
clearly defined policy with respect to the repos, much like EPEL does (
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/GuidelinesAndPolicies).  The closest
thing I found was (
http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/puppetlabs_package_repositories.html),
which I don't think is adequate to describe the intention of the repos.

Second-to-lastly, my biggest concern with this problem in its current
state, is the potential fallout of users (and the people they influence)
who now find puppet to be "too volatile" or "too unstable", and decide to
look for alternatives.  I won't argue against that these users should have
had better practices to prevent this, because it doesn't change the fact
that these people are still put off.

Personally, I would have liked to see a separate repo for each version of
puppet (so that users of 2.6.x, 2.7.x and 3.0.x could continue to receive
the latest and greatest for their version).  But I also don't have to
manage the thing, so I respect that it didn't turn out this way.  However,
I think the method of communicating to the community can be improved to
compensate.

And finally, thanks for all the work guys.  Puppet is a fantastic product,
and has a fantastic community behind it.

Cheers,
Aaron Russo