On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Robert Rothenberg <rob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> BTW, I have reported this at https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/16729

I'm not sure if everyone here is subscribed to issue #16729, so I'd
like to take a moment to cross-post the update I posted there.  I hope
this information is helpful.

Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue.  I'm one of the
developers responsible for Puppet and Facter.  My highest priority is
to make sure you, and all Puppet users, have a delightful experience.
I spent quite a bit of time reviewing the problem you've described,
and I've identified at least one viable solution to this problem.
We're still not exactly sure what we're going to do to resolve this
issue, but I'd like to take a moment and assure you of the following
things:

First, we acknowledge and accept that this is an flaw with the way
Puppet is delivered.  We made a mistake with the 3.0.0 release and
this mistake causes some users to unwillingly install a version of
Puppet incompatible with their existing infrastructure.  Specifically,
we acknowledge that our users must knowingly decide to install any
version of Puppet that we (Puppet Labs) knows to be incompatible with
previous releases.  With the move to semantic version numbers as of
3.0.0, this means that future major versions of Puppet, e.g. 4.x, will
require some "opt-in" action on your behalf.

Second, If a minor version or patch version is found to be
incompatible with previous versions, we consider this to be a bug with
Puppet and we'll work as quickly as possible to release a subsequent
version to fix this incompatibility.  This un-intentional backwards
incompatibility will happen from time to time, we're constantly
working to improve our existing QA and CI tools, but please rest
assured you should trust us not to knowingly release backwards
incompatible software that you might unknowingly install.

Finally, we acknowledge that using `ensure => latest` inside of
Puppet, or doing the equivalent of `yum install puppet` in kickstart,
scripts, or cobbler doesn't qualify as knowingly deciding to upgrade
across incompatible versions.  Not everyone reads the documentation or
our announcements, and not everyone is an expert in apt and yum.  This
acknowledgement applies for any system we support that has online
repositories such as APT and IPS.  Furthermore, there is quite a bit
of documentation [1] [2] [3] that indicates this is a problem with our
design.

We're still not quite sure what we're going to do to resolve this
issue, but we do acknowledge and accept the issue as valid and we take
responsibility for resolving it.

I hope this helps and thank you again for reporting this issue,
-Jeff McCune

[1] http://infodesign.com.au/articles/themythofthestupiduser/
[2] http://swizec.com/blog/stupid-users-are-a-myth/swizec/449
[3] http://www.amazon.com/Design-Everyday-Things-Donald-Norman/dp/0465067107