In regard to: Re: [Puppet Users] anchor pattern and class containment...:

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Tim Mooney <tim.moo...@ndsu.edu> wrote:

All-

We're currently using puppet 2.7.14 on master and all clients.

I thought I understood why 'anchor' is part of stdlib, but after
re-reading both

        http://projects.puppetlabs.**com/projects/puppet/wiki/**
Anchor_Pattern<http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/puppet/wiki/Anchor_Pattern>

and

http://projects.puppetlabs.**com/issues/8040<http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/8040>

yesterday in preparation for trying to explain it to one of our team
that's coming up to speed on puppet, now I'm not so certain I really
understand.

yep, its probably the most confusing part of Puppet :(

:-)  I think I would vote for create_resources() in that competition.

Specifically, is it necessary to use the anchor pattern if your module
only defines resources and doesn't require or include any other classes?

you only have to use the anchor pattern when you need to depend on a class
that has classes defined in it. The example below does not need the anchor
pattern.

Thanks Dan!  The info from you & John & Ryan has been very helpful.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                             tim.moo...@ndsu.edu