In regard to: [Puppet Users] Re: The free software tarballs are now...:

The "Products -> Puppet Open Source" link on the main page takes you here:

http://puppetlabs.com/puppet/puppet-open-source/

where we promote getting the source from GitHub rather than tarballs
directly from us.

The reasoning has generally been that if you want to use Puppet, the best
way of consuming it is via packages, and if you want to get the source, the
best way of consuming it is via Git.

There are certainly some benefits to GitHub, but my recurring gripe is
that most software that's hosted on GitHub no longer seems to follow
any notion of "versions" or "releases".  This makes packaging and local
version tracking a bit more tricky.

I see that you PuppetLabs folks are continuing to do a good job of tagging
release versions, though.  That's great news, and I certainly hope it
continues.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                             tim.moo...@ndsu.edu