On Monday, October 15, 2012 1:45:12 PM UTC-7, jcbollinger wrote:

> Indeed, I have taken a second look, and a third, and maybe more.  I love
> the hiera integration with parametrized classes.  It was a fabulous idea,
> as it makes it reasonable and safe to use existing parametrized classes
> (provided you use only 'include' or 'require' to declare them).
>
> Even with that, however, parametrized classes offer very little of value
> over non-parametrized analogs that implement the same hiera-based external
> data access.  One could argue, perhaps, that there is a documentary
> advantage in parametrization, but I think that's poor justification for
> introducing functional (so to speak) elements to any class.  That's what
> comments are for.

But parameters expose that info to more than humans -- for example, you can
use the resource_type REST endpoint today to get a list of all classes and
their parameters and defaults. Not a lot is using that today, but I expect
more and more things to start doing auto-discovery of parameters, since
it's a really machine-friendly way to find out what a class "wants."