Hi Everyone,
I'm looking for a way to identify (if possible) the ESX/vSphere version
that a particular VMWare guest server is running on without the use of
vmware tools related commands, such as vmware-checkvm, which does seem to
do the trick from what I can gather.

[root@server ~]# vmware-checkvm -h
VM's hw version is 4
VMware software version 6 (good)
[root@server ~]#

The reason behind this is that we have brought online a new site that uses
ESX5, and I'd like new VM's to be able to self classify what ESX specific
packages and services to install and manage without any admin intervention,
ie, Do I install the ESX4 tools, or the ESX5 ones.

I have had a bit of a poke around to see if this is possible, but have so
far come up empty handed, and feel it may not be possible in a way that I
can roll it into a custom fact, so i may have to go down the route of
pushing some new values into our ENC that define the version of ESX in use
at each particular site, which isnt perfect, but will also do the job.

Has anyone ever had to deal with this chicken/egg situation ?
And if so, did you find a solution ?

Thanks in advance,