Cheers for this, it's given me some food for thought.

Given the backwards/forwards compatibility of some versions of VMWare
Tools, my issue isn't as serious as I initially thought, however I would
like to go down this path long term so that our VM's perform optimally.

My only concern with using the BIOS strings is that an unexpected update to
the ESX nodes (it is managed by a different team) may cause some of my
puppet code/infrastructure to experience unexpected results without fail
safe type logic, which may not be pretty.

Thanks again,

ps, If anyone at EMC/VMWare is listening, a sneaky string with the version
number in the BIOS or other accessible firmware would be amazing :)