I'm trying to close the loop on this thread.

We recognize that some users were negatively impacted by having Puppet
3.0.0 in the same repositories as the previously released versions.
While we attempted to communicate our intentions to release that way
by design, not everybody saw those communications.

As a result, prior to releasing the next set of software that has
breaking changes, we will certainly reevaluate our distribution
strategies.

Completed:
* The upgrade guide has been updated to mention software
pinning/freezing etc: http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/upgrading.html
* We have filed an enhancement request to allow range pinning in
puppet itself.  http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/17102  If this
is interesting to you, please watch, upvote and/or submit patches for
this.

Commitments:
* Puppet Labs Software Delivery org will be publishing policies around
our repositories
* We will do more communication around breaking changes landing in our
repositories, and evaluate needs to address breakage on a case-by-case
basis.

Comments:
* We've had over 90,000 downloads of Puppet 3 from our repositories
(not counting Mac, Windows, Solaris, or rubygems.org).  We've had
concerns voiced by less than 15 people total.  I realize this doesn't
mean everybody who had issues reported anything to us.

The idea of separate repositories has been brought up, and debated
heavily internally. We currently have over 500 package repository
targets based on versions, architectures and repo-streams (devel,
deps, products) etc. Branching for each major product (puppet,
puppetdb, mcollective) is multiplicative and would result in many,
many more each time we branch.  This could easily cause confusion
about which repositories to enable, disable, use for migrations from
one version to the next etc.

While we haven't ruled out this approach in the future, it requires
quite a lot of build toolchain and automation changes. It's likely as
a user you would get more value from Puppet Labs spending their
efforts elsewhere.