That would work if I didn't want to have everything under version
control. I guess the only option for storing certs/keys I have is hiera-gpg
with yaml or some other backend.

I am still trying to figure out what should distribute certs/keys - is it a
separate module or the app module itself? What would be the best practice
in this case?

Thanks