Hi John,

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 12:28 PM, jcbollinger <john.bollin...@stjude.org>wrote:

> On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 12:36:19 PM UTC-6, Josh Cooper wrote:
>>
>> I have a question for windows users out there. Adam recently reported a
>> bug[1] that the managehome parameter on Windows doesn't work. According to
>> the documentation (since 2.7.6), the "manages_homedir [feature is defined
>> as] The provider can create and remove home directories."[2]
>>
>> As such, the fix for #15560 will create/delete the home directory when
>> ensure => present/absent, respectively, and managehome => true. Note,
>> managehome is false by default. This fix is targeted for 2.7.20 and is
>> in alignment with other *nix-y user providers that support the
>> manages_homedir feature, e.g. useradd.
>>
>> However, there may be users out there that have set `managehome => true`
>> in their manifests, and are unaware of what that parameter means. Worse,
>> they may be surprised when upgrading to 2.7.20.
>>
>> Clearly, we're fixing a bug, and matching the behavior as described in
>> our documentation, but we'd also like to keep 2.7.20 as stable as possible.
>> Comments welcome.
>>
>> Also, Puppet 3.0 does create and delete the home directory, as expected.
>>

> Create *and* delete? Is that just the Windows provider, or also the
> others that support the manages_homedir feature?

The useradd provider deletes the home directory:
https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/blob/3.0.x/lib/puppet/provider/user/useradd.rb#L86

As does pw:
https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/blob/3.0.x/lib/puppet/provider/user/pw.rb#L59

And same for providers that extend those.

>   Historic behavior, at least for some providers, was to create the
> homedir upon user creation, but not to remove it upon user removal.

I'm not sure how we got from historic behavior to now, or the reasons
behind it.

>   There are circumstances in which that is preferable, and you certainly
> would not want to surprise users who depend on it.

FWIW, managehome is false by default. It's only when it's true that you get
create or delete behavior of the home directory.

Josh

--
Josh Cooper
Developer, Puppet Labs