Hi Matt,

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Matthew Burgess
<matthew.2.burg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 8:46 PM, Josh Cooper <j...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
>
> >>   Historic behavior, at least for some providers, was to create the
> >> homedir upon user creation, but not to remove it upon user removal.
> >
> > I'm not sure how we got from historic behavior to now, or the reasons behind
> > it.
>
> So #10354 (http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/10354) and commit
> ed738454
> (https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/commit/ed7384546fd2f5b1dbbc61a2847c64227729041a)
> seem relevant here.  I must admit to being quite surprised that
> managehome would actually delete a user's home directory on deletion
> of the user, but only because this is not how things typically work in
> *nix environments by default (as evidenced by the fact that the bug
> was raised in the first place).

Thanks for the pointer. I did find
http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/432 in which managehome was
first implemented, and defines the remove home directory behavior. It
seems that functionality was broken at some point later, and then
fixed in the bug you mentioned, surprisingly in 2.7.19. Similarly,
http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/12081 was fixed in 2.7.12.

> Thankfully for me, managehome is not true by default, so I've not been
> bitten by this, despite not reading the relevant docs :-)
>
> That said, would it perhaps be worth putting a note/warning in the
> documentation for managehome that it will delete the user's home
> directory and any data therein?  The removal is mentioned under the
> 'Features' entry for manages_homedir, but isn't explicitly called out
> in the 'Parameters' entry for managehome.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Josh

--
Josh Cooper