On Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:17:50 AM UTC-6, j4m3s wrote:

> Thank you very much Matt.  My searches hadn't turned that up - I was
> searching on keywords relating to templates I think.
>
> Thanks again, James.

Do note that the reason that approach can work for cron jobs and hosts
entries is that the relevant resources model individual parts of the file
(one job or one host) rather than the file as a whole.  I imagine you could
patch something together that would treat ordinary files as made up of
parts, but it will probably need to be somewhat specific to the target file
format.  I personally can't see doing that unless it were particularly
important to have a content timestamp in the file.  I certainly don't see
doing it routinely for every managed file.

John