Yup, we have some work to do on this. I recently joined the Puppet Labs
documentation team, and getting Hiera better documented is high on my list
of priorities.

If you don't mind spending the time watching a video of a talk, I can
recommend Kelsey Hightower's presentation at PuppetConf '12:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9TK-gUNFHk&feature=youtu.be

It provides a walkthrough example that might help you get your arms around
Hiera a little better. I've converted the slide deck to a PDF, but it's a
little large so please email me directly if you'd like me to forward a copy
to you.

There are also a few notes on the Hiera github repo, including a note on
how to make sure your hierarchy and data files are correctly configured:

https://github.com/puppetlabs/hiera/tree/master/docs/tutorials

Hope this helps a little, and we'll have more formal documentation out soon.

Regards,
Michael