I'm not sure if I'm correct but what I understood after spending a few
hours on it:

Let's suppose you have:

certname: puppet.example.com

puppet_ca.example.com
puppet_worker1.example.com
puppet_worker2.example.com
puppetdb1.example.com

Your PuppetDB registered with your CA using the certname puppet.example.com,
but your puppet workers only have their own certnames (
puppet_worker1.example.com and puppet_worker2.example.com). When they talk
with PuppetDB to fetch/replace the facts, PuppetDB doesn't accept their
certificates because it was registered to the certname puppet.example.com.

Copying the puppet.example.com certificate from CA to the workers make them
to use it when responding to a puppet run under that certname.

Felipe