No the behaviour has been always the same:
On the server I get:

Compiled catalog for jbossm.cortile.cloudlabcsi.
local in environment production in 1.53 seconds
Info: Caching catalog for jbossm.cortile.cloudlabcsi.local
Debug: Searched for resources in 0.01 seconds
Error: can't instantiate uninitialized class
Debug: Finishing transaction 69873076055740

On the  agent:

Error: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER:
can't instantiate uninitialized class
Debug: Using cached catalog for jbossm.cortile.cloudlabcsi.
local
Using cached catalog

What happens is the puppet_master says that it finishes the catalog
compilation and than throws the error and the agent receives the error (the
remote 400 error) and uses the cached catalog.
Debug all up in both master and agent.
If logs are on /var/log/puppet/masterhttp.log or rails.log nothing usefull
no error (the rails.log is empty and I do not know how to enable logging on
ruby)

It colud be a template??? I'll check it, but have no clue.
Thanks
Luca