Hi There,
I do a similar thing with my environment, I apply a class called "applysoe"
to all nodes that is responsible for applying my modules and classes to
nodes in a specific order as the ENC i use didn't initially support it.

Have you looked at the foreman ?
The imminent release of 1.1 supports param classes, and it could be of use
to you, there is a good video showing how these new actions work here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksr0tilbmcc

I havent tested it for run stages support however.

Hope this is of some use.