Thanks for the reply Matt and Jesse,

I accept the reasons (Matt) mentioned for not using source files.
I guess the 1st reason I didn't go with rolling up my own .deb fie is that
I lack the knowledge to do so, and I'm under a tight schedule for this
project so I thought to stick with what I know.
The 2nd reason is that I could not believe that Puppet does not support
working with source files with a built in mechanism (provider), digging
through documentation I realized it does not provide any means to handle
source.

I guess I wanted to emulate my current installation method which mixes both
apt and compiling packages.

I fixed the configure part with adding the path to the binaries mentioned
in the error (/bin, /usr/bin).

Thanks for all the help,
Magic.