Here is the strace output from one of the 10-second periods while waiting
for the File notice to appear.  https://gist.github.com/4497263

The strace output came in two bursts during this 10-seconds.

The thing that leaps out at me is that of the 4061 lines of output, 3754 of
them are rt_sigprocmask calls.  I'm wondering if it's a Ruby bug?  For
these VMs, I'm using 1.8.7, installed from source:
http://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/ruby-1.8.7-p358.tar.gz

I created another gist with the rt_sigprocmask calls to make it easier to
tell if there is anything else going on.  https://gist.github.com/4497335
>From my quick review, nothing leaps out.

Hope this helps point the troubleshooting in the right direction.

Thanks,
Kirk